Friday, October 10, 2008

Martin the spotted eagle owl

Martin is a spotted eagle owl, who was caught scaring chickens in someone's chicken house and shot with a catapult. He was brought to me last week, just after he was shot. His right wing is broken, and I don't yet know if he has any other serious injuries. Here he is in a basket the day I received him.
He was obviously in a lot of pain. My sister, who is a farmer, helped bandage up his wing. The break is in a position that would be very difficult to splint, so we decided just to restrict movement by bandaging the whole wing together with sticking plaster.

Here he is all bandaged up and not looking very happy.

I gave him water with a syringe and then put him in a cage that I have used for previous owls and other birds.

1 comment:

Hjoe said...

I am very excited to see the works you are still doing in wildlife conservation. After a long hiatus from the love of animals since high school, I am delighted to be able to follow your works through this blog.