Thursday, September 6, 2012

Update on Fighter the Barn Owl

I gave fighter this name because he has fought to survive, unlike many injured birds that I have tried to save.  In my last post I mentioned that Fighter, after two-and-a-half weeks, had finally started eating out of my hand voluntarily, instead of being force-fed. Soon Fighter was feeding directly from a plate, and not long after I started feeding him on small dead mice.





On the 14th of July, after I had had Fighter for three weeks, my sister said it was time to remove the splint.  She said that by this time the bone had either healed or was not going to heal.  So with a pair of scissors and fingers, she carefully removed the duct tape and cardboard that had been supporting the bone.



She said as far as she could tell, the bone appeared to have healed.  But only time would tell.  Fighter was still dragging his injured wing, but she said that the muscles would take time to get strong again.



No comments: